A SHORT HISTROY OF ST. JOHN’S ANGLICAN CHURCH-EJISU
BACKGROUND OF EJISU: Ejisu is one of the traditional towns of Ashanti kingdom and famous for its bravery in the person f Yaa Ashantewaa.
FOUNDING ANGLICAN CHURCH AT EJISU
Late Mr. Harry Robert Drewry started a family chapel at Ejisu in 1945 as there was no Anglican Church near Mr. Drewry together with the wife Margaret Drewry played a pioneering role and championed the formation in his house as most of the Church activities was done in his premises.
As Anglicanism was gaining roots, other people came to the scene and them together with Drewry family strengthened membership. Late Mr. Kusi, Mr. Obeng and Charles Tano contributed greatly to the upliftment of Anglican Church in Ejisu. They put up a church structure which could house only sixty congregants. Membership was made up of old people who were interested in Anglican doctrines. St. John’s was then under St. Peter’s Parish-Kumawu which was supervised by Rev. Fr.Welborn a Parish Priest of Kumawu.
GROWTH OF ST. JOHN BETWEEN(1950-1960)
As the Church was gaining grounds other members become zealous and saw to its membership growth, prominent amongst these zealots were Mrs. Agnes Opoku and her family. Aunt Agnes as she was popularly known together with Madam Kennedy and Mr. Williams Odame left no stone unturned to see the growth of Anglican Church in Ejisu.
THE DEATH OF MR. HARRY ROBERT DREWRY IN 1969
The Church had a big blow as their leader in the person of Mr. Drewry died in December 1969, most activities came to a standstill. It took the effort of Aunt Agnes, Mr. William and Drewry family to re-kindle the spirit of the St. John’s Anglican Church.
ACTIVITIES OF ANGLICAN CHURCH BETWEEN(1960-1970)
Between the years aforementioned, members like Eric Oppong, Osei Poku, Mrs. Victoria Osei Poku contributed immensely towards the face lift of St. John’s in physical, spiritual and foundation stone was laid by Rt. Rev. Daniel Yinkah Sarfo, currently the Anglican Bishop of Kumasi Diocese. The building was in honour of Late Harry Robert Drewry and family for their immense role in lifting the Anglican Church in Ejisu. Other members were not left out.
The following people wardens were also acknowledged.
1. Mr. Eric Oppong
2. Dr. and Mrs. Poku
3. Madam Agenes Opoku
4. Mr. William Odame
THE PARCEL OF LAND WHICH SITUATES THE ST. JOHN’S BUIDING
Mr. Drewry and the family bequeathed the parcel of land which the Church is built to the Anglican Church and this also, members put in much effort to see to the fruition of the Church, between 1960-1998 a period of 38 years the St. John’s Anglican Church at Ejisu can broadchestedly, say they have a Church building with an adequate seating capacity of three hundred (300) people.
PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED BY THE CHURCH (1960-PRESENT)
The Church faced a lot of problems between 1960 and 1990 in the areas of membership and location.
Membership: with orthodox Churches already in existence like Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist it was a struggle to win members from the community,
Secondly, “the Ejisu market day” falls on Sunday so it was difficult to ask members to come to Church on Sundays.
Strategy put in place to make members to church on Sunday s was to start the Church earlier before the market begins, this idea pushed through by PCC was embraced and have now seen growth in membership. Presently, the Church can boost of three hundred and sixty members; including the children, the youth and adults.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW CHURCH
The PCC together with the Church have put up a new building with a bigger seating capacity that can host a greater congregation.
The history of St. John’s Church-Ejisu will not be complete, if mention is not given to kumawu archdeaconry, Harry Robert Drewry family, other pioneers, all Priests who manned the Church to the present, the Bishops of Anglican Church and the entire congregation whose efforts have seen the development of St. John’s Anglican Church-Ejisu.